Some McFadden History
The McFadden family comes from the ancient Scottish Dalriadan clans of the mountainous west coast of. The name McFadden is derived from the personal name Paidean.. The Gaelic forms of the surname are Mac Phadein or Mac Phaidin, both of which mean son of Paidean.
Early Origins of McFadden family
The surname McFadden was first found in Kintyre, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
McFadden Spelling Variations
Translation in medieval times was an undeveloped science and was often carried out without due care. For this reason, many early Scottish names appeared radically altered when written in English. The spelling variations of McFadden include McFadyen, Fadden, Fadyen, Faden, McFadin, Fadin, McFadwyn, Fadwyn, McFadyean, McFadyon, McFayden, Feyden and many more.
Migration of the McFadden family to the New World
These Scotch-Irish immigrants who made the crossing settled all along the east coast of North America and in the great west that was just then opening up. At the time of the American War of Independence, many United Empire Loyalists moved north from the American colonies to Canada. Hence, you’ll find McFadden’s scattered all across Canada. An examination of immigration records and passenger ship lists revealed that people bearing the name McFadden arrived in North America very early:
Contemporary Notables of the name McFadden (post 1700)
- W. R. McFadden, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Nevada, 1916
- William R. McFadden, American Democrat politician, Candidate in primary for Delegate to Michigan State Constitutional Convention from Wayne County 12th District, 1961
- Theresa M. McFadden, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New Jersey, 1980
- Roger McFadden, American politician, Socialist Workers Candidate for Presidential Elector for Michigan, 1968
- P. W. McFadden, American politician, Mayor of Austin, Texas, 1926-33
- Orrin McFadden, American politician, U.S. Collector of Customs, 1869-79
- Ophelia McFadden, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 1988 (alternate), 1996, 2000
- Obadiah Benton McFadden (1815-1875), American politician, Justice of Oregon Territorial Supreme Court, 1853-54; Justice of Washington Territorial Supreme Court, 1854-61; Member Washington territorial council, 1861
- Nancy E. McFadden, American Democrat politician, Member, Credentials Committee, Democratic National Convention, 2008
- Nathaniel J. McFadden, American Democrat politician, Elected Maryland State Senate 45th District 1998; Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Maryland, 2008